The world may think you are only one person--But to one person, you may be their world.
The Online Magazine
for Certified Nursing Assistants
Patient Care Technician Resources
CNA Video Skill: Assisting with a Bed Pan
One of the skills that you will learn in a CNA training program is how to assist with the use of a bedpan. For residents who are unable to walk or stand, the use of a bedpan may be necessary. Assisting a resident in the use of the bedpan can minimize embarrassment and prevent unpleasant messes. Before you begin, wash your hands to prevent the spread of germs. Explain that you will be helping him/her to use the bedpan. Ensure the resident has adequate privacy, and put on a pair of gloves.
When you begin to assist you will need to explain the procedure, speak clearly and slowly. Remember this is a skill that you will more then likely be tested on during your state clinical skills test. You will need to ensure that privacy is provided by drawing curtain.
Steps to Assist With the use of a Bed pan
- Before placing the bedpan – lower head of the bed
- Position client on bed pan
- Toilet tissue within reach-Assistance may be needed
- Call light device is within reach
- Remove bedpan, while avoiding over exposing client
- Empty and rinse bedpan – stores it
- Call light is within reach and bed is in low position
- After completing the skill, wash hands
CNA Skill Video Assisting with Bed Pan